Camp meets July 31st-August 4th daily. A collaboration of The Cabin and The Sun Valley Center for the Arts This camp is for 5th-8th graders. Camp meets Monday through Friday from 9 am – 12 pm each day at the Sun Valley Center for the Arts Hailey House in Hailey. Discover how art, music, and nature inform a writer’s imagination. Learn to write short stories and poems that express your vision of the world. With an experienced teaching-writer from The Cabin as your guide, you’ll find inspiration in the park and nearby cultural attractions to create original writing using the craft tools needed to write well.
The right tools to get you writing work you love.
During the last half-hour of camp on Friday, family and friends are invited to The Center for a public reading of student writing.
Foci for Student Learning:
- Reading literary texts critically to learn about craft
- Getting inspiration from art, music and nature to spur writing
- Introduction to the short story form and writing a short story throughout the camp week
- Introduction to poetic forms and writing a collection of poems throughout the camp week
- Responding to what works in one another’s work
- Offering constructive critique for peer’s work towards revision
- Revising for publication
Essential Questions Students Will Investigate:
- How do artists think?
- How do writers represent and transform experience in language?
- How do artists live?
- What does it mean to be an artist?
- What is a poem?
- What is a story?
Our ticketing system charges a $4.50 convenience fee for each camp purchased online. To avoid this fee, register by phone: 208-331-8000.