Week-long camp from August 8-August 12th. This camp is for kids going into 5th & 6th grades. Camp meets Monday through Friday from 9am – 12 pm each day. During the last half-hour of camp on Friday, family and friends are invited to The Cabin for lemonade and a public reading of student writing.
Build a (strange) new world in this sci-fi/fantasy fiction camp.
Zombies, dragons, robots, oh my! On the first day of camp, you’ll work with other writers to build the rules for the fictional realm of your dreams. Then, each writer will create an original short story inspired by this strange land (while working on the craft fundamentals of fiction like plot, dialogue, character, and setting, of course!). Your teaching-writer (/wizard) will get your imagination bubbling with inspiring excursions about town.
Foci for Student Learning:
- Critical reading of sci-fi and fantasy fiction to learn about craft
- Investigation of storytelling
- Investigation of the sci-fi and fiction genre
- Collaborative realm-building
- Character and dialogue
- Sensory detail and specificity
- Setting and scene
- Writing a cohesive short story
- Responding to what works in one another’s work
- Offering constructive critique for peer’s work towards revision
- Revising for publication
Essential Questions Students Will Investigate:
- What is a story? How do we make them?
- How do you create a new world that’s believable to others? But doesn’t rely on tropes or clichés?
- How do you write about something you have never experienced?
- How can you create empathy, sympathy, emotion through sci-fi characters?
- How do we get people to care about this space? Plot?
- Why make up another reality?
- What can fabulist fiction teach us about being human?
- How do we invite an audience in to a strange land?
Our ticketing system charges a $4.50 convenience fee for each camp purchased online. To avoid this fee, register by phone: 208-331-8000.