It is The Cabin’s privilege to work with the young writers and readers of the Treasure Valley, and provide quality arts education and creative writing enrichment to the community through our Writers in the Schools program and our Summer Writing Camps for kids in grades 3-12.
- every child deserves a holistic education that encourages critical thinking, creativity, and personal responsibility.
- writing is an art that must be practiced and developed over time.
- low-income students can thrive and grow through high-quality art education programs.
- in writing programs that emphasize experimentation, creativity and imagination above rules and conventions.
- that the teaching-artist model of writing instruction can awaken student investment in writing as creative practice.
- that the critical faculties engaged during creative practice are essential to academic growth.
- that students will take themselves seriously as writers when their work is taken seriously by a writer.
- that critical reading is essential to strong writing.
- that lessons should encourage students to experiment with the language tools real writers use.
- that lessons should make space for each student’s individual interests and questions.
- that invention, drafting, revision, and editing are separate processes that each deserve time and attention and cannot happen simultaneously.
- that thoughtful written comments towards revision from a writer’s perspective cultivate student investment and improvement.
- that working towards public showcase and publication can help students more seriously engage in revision and seek to present their best work to an outside audience.
- that writers should teach their craft and be compensated fairly for it.
- in the transformative power of being heard.
There are no upcoming events at this time.