Welcome to The Cabin!
The Cabin incorporated as a nonprofit organization in 1996. Our mission is to inspire and celebrate a love of reading, writing and discourse.
Click Here to read our 20th Anniversary Newsletter
What We Do
The Cabin annually serves about 500 member households, more than 2,000 children and youth, and more than 16,000 people through educational and cultural programs.
We serve our diverse constituencies through:
- WRITERS IN THE SCHOOLS (WITS), placing professional writers in classrooms with 3rd-12th grade students;
- SUMMER WRITING CAMPS, writing-intensive adventures for youth;
- WORKSHOPS, challenging small-group classes led by published authors;
- WRITERS IN THE ATTIC (WITA), an annual publication contest and event for local writers;
- READINGS & CONVERSATIONS, an annual lecture series bringing internationally-acclaimed, provocative and inspiring writers to Boise;
- LITERARY ACTIVITIES such as book club meetings, readings by local authors, and other events that create conversation and community around literature.
Who We Are
The Cabin’s administrative offices are housed in our restored log cabin, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Four full-time staff and one part-time staff are supported by a strong membership, a talented group of professional teaching-writers and a growing volunteer base. The Cabin is also governed by a 13-member board of directors.